Opening files on Domain Computer using 2.5.9.113 Beta

If you think you found a bug in Transcript, please report it here (or send me an e-mail).
Please be as detailed as possible in your description of the bug, when and how it happened, which version of Transcript, version of Windows, etc.
Ed2V

Opening files on Domain Computer using 2.5.9.113 Beta

Post by Ed2V »

I only discovered Transcript this week and it is one of those tools that instantly transforms a task from a pain to a pleasure. Being fully aware of the meaning of Beta software I decided to download the (at the time) latest release 2.5.9.113 Beta. Which generally works well, however I have a problem with opening and saving files.

I am using Windows 10 Education version on a Domain joined computer. All my profile folders, documents, pictures, etc are redirected to a server share and are not stored locally on the machine. When I go to open or save a document and browse to my document folder I see an empty folder rather than the contents of my folder stored on the server. This is not the same as I would see if I opened Windows Explorer and browsed to the Document Folder. If I save in the empty folder the file persists but it isn't saved on the location on the server but somewhere locally.

To open pictures I am having to save them on the C: drive as it is the only file system I can see.

I haven't tried the older stable version to see if the same behaviour is present but I am happy to do so if needed.

Wormnest
Site Admin

Re: Opening files on Domain Computer using 2.5.9.113 Beta

Post by Wormnest »

My apologies for the late reply, I didn't get notified about a new post.

I don't think trying the 2.5 stable release will make a difference since the saving and loading code hasn't been touched in a while.
I will have to check how to simulate your situation here. Accessing a folder on another computer on my network seems to work so the problem must be specifically to the situation you described.
Unless I can figure out what goes wrong tomorrow it will probably not be fixed in the next release which is planned for this weekend.

Edit
If you only tested it starting Transcript right from the installer then can you please try it again. Because the installer is run in admin mode which might cause Transcript started from the installer also to be started in admin mode. Which means it might have different permissions than when started normally.
Wormnest (aka Jacob Boerema)
Programmer of Transcript

Ed2V

Post by Ed2V »

So sorry it was indeed the installer issue and the files were being stored in the admin account. Closing the program and re-running in my normal user account solved the issue. Rookie mistake.

Wormnest
Site Admin

Post by Wormnest »

No worries. It's more a shortcoming of the installer than a mistake on your end.
However it's not that easy to fix. Best might be to remove the option to start Transcript from the installer.
Wormnest (aka Jacob Boerema)
Programmer of Transcript