Excel instead af RTF-file?

This forum is for requesting new features, enhancements, changes etc. of Transcript.
Arne Christiansen

Excel instead af RTF-file?

Post by Arne Christiansen »

Hello
I consider using Transcript on danish census.
Is there any way I can get Microsoft Excel in the lower part of the screen instead of the document automatically generating RTF-files.

Arne Christiansen
Denmark

Wormnest
Site Admin

Re: Excel instead af RTF-file?

Post by Wormnest »

At the moment it's not possible to use an excel file. I am planning to try to add that in version 3 of Transcript.
However I haven't been able to work on Transcript lately so I don't know when that will come out, not very soon anyway.
Wormnest (aka Jacob Boerema)
Programmer of Transcript

maggy

Post by maggy »

Excel is able to import comma delimited text files. I'm so new to Transcript that I don't know if it allows to save as plain text. If not, than you'll need to open the RTF in Word or Wordpad and save as .TXT .
Lets say your document has columns first name, last name, year of birth, town of birth
than your text file should either look like:
John,Smith,1570,London;Marie,Jones,,London;Willam,,1583,;

or like
John,Smith,1570,London
Marie,Jones,,London
Willam,,1583,

So for each row the total numbers of comma's is one less than the number of columns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

Wormnest
Site Admin

Post by Wormnest »

Yes Transcript can save as plain text. Using commas it is inded possible to then import it in excel but this is ofcourse not the most convenient way to do it.
However I have not even started working on version 3 so I have no idea when it will be ready if ever.
Programmer of Transcript

zsorba

Post by zsorba »

I am a new user, just registered today. I find this tool very useful, but I usually extract church records and my primary output is almost always to an Excel file. I notice there has apparently been no discussion of this option since 2009, Are there any plans for adding Excel at any time in the future?

Wormnest
Site Admin

Post by Wormnest »

Yes there are plans but that is still all it is currently: a plan, meaning that not work has been done on adding this.
This is mostly due to not having a lot of time to work on Transcript plus adding support for Excel like input and integrating it with the rest of the program will be complicated and a lot of work.
Version 2.5 is planned to be released later this year but that will not have support for Excel input.
Programmer of Transcript